We only include what’s necessary to deliver our 9 hero nutrients safely and efficiently. Let’s start with some basic pill science: nearly every supplement, pill, and oral medication contains something called excipients. These are extra, non-active substances that perform necessary functions for the stability and the delivery of the active ingredients. Here’s a good example: Ritual contains a super small amount of citric acid (an acid that naturally occurs in citrus) to stabilize the iron that’s in the capsule. Even though Ritual only contains tiny concentrations of excipients, we got pretty obsessive about these little extras while we were in development —going to great lengths to understand every excipient used by our suppliers. Let’s just say it took months.
So why were we so obsessed with excipients? Excipients in supplements can sometimes include some shady stuff like shellac and other toxic nasties. We wanted to make sure none of our ingredients came with questionable baggage. In fact, many ingredients didn’t make the cut in our final product because their associated excipients didn’t meet our standards.
The excipients in Ritual are included at the minimum amounts needed to protect, standardize, and stabilize the active ingredients. In addition to meeting our exacting standards, they have all been approved by food and regulatory agencies worldwide.
When we say less is more, we mean it. Every excipient below is necessary to making your vitamin work! No fillers, no BS.
- Ascorbyl palmitate (0.1-0.5% per serving of omega-3): A fat-soluble form of vitamin C that protects our heart healthy fats and oils from oxidation.
- d-alpha-Tocopherol (3 mcg per serving): A natural form of vitamin E that helps keep your vitamin D3 fresh.
- Fractionated coconut oil (~1 mg per serving): We use this as a carrier for fat-soluble nutrients to ensure that the concentration of vitamin D3 is consistent from pill to pill.
- Medium chain triglycerides aka MCT oil (~1.5 mg per serving): Another fat-soluble carrier, this guy helps standardize the concentration of K2 in your capsule.
- Mixed tocopherols (~0.5 mg per serving): A complete, natural, non-GMO, and non-soy form of vitamin E that provides antioxidant protection for fats.
- Silica (30 mg per serving): A mineral that helps to adjust and standardize the oil viscosity.
- Sunflower oil, non-GMO (9 mg per serving): A plant oil that helps standardize the concentration of mixed tocopherols from batch to batch.
- Vanilla (20 mg per serving) and Peppermint Oil (1 mg per serving): To freshen the smell/taste that comes from our vegan-friendly algal oil (the source of omega-3).
- Cellulose (~45 mg per serving): A plant polymer that we use to build and form the beadlets.
- Citric acid (~2 mg per serving): An acid that naturally occurs in citrus that stabilizes the iron in Ritual.
- Corn starch (~2 mg per serving): Made from non-GMO corn, this helps standardize/stabilize iron.
- Corn zein (~45 mg per serving): A non-GMO corn protein that keeps all the goodies in your beadlet together, and forms a coating that prevents the oil from leaking into the beadlets.
- Dicalcium phosphate (~2 mg per serving): A type of salt that standardizes B12 to the desired potency, ensuring uniformity of dose per serving.
- Glucosamine (0.6 mg/serving): A naturally-occurring substance that helps stabilize the folate in your pill. Bonus: ours isn’t derived from shellfish like a lot of versions.
- Lecithin (~6.5 mg per serving): A fatty substance derived from non-GMO sunflower oil that acts as an emulsifier and absorption aid for your magnesium.
- Pregelatinized rice starch/rice starch (31-37 mg per serving): A thickening agent that keeps magnesium inside the Sucrosomial® particles.
- Silica (2.5 mg per serving of iron, <1 mg per serving of boron) A mineral that helps maintain the particle size and prevents caking of dry ingredients.
- Sucrose esters of fatty acids (32.5-39 mg per serving): A non-soy compound that acts as another emulsifier for magnesium
- Tricalcium phosphate (0.2 mg per serving): A salt that stabilizes Sucrosomial® magnesium and prevents caking.
What are all these packed in? Our awesome delayed-release capsule. Read more on that here.